Your circadian rhythm is a daily (~24 h) cycle of biological activity. If it becomes poorly synchronized with daytime and nighttime, you may experience decreased sleep quality and/or quantity, impacting your body's performance. This could result in increased cortisol production, decreased metabolism, slower recovery from exercise, greater hunger (with strong cravings for comfort foods), impaired mental performance, and generally feeling worse.
Cannabinoids, among hundreds of different compounds in the cannabis plant, have been used medicinally for centuries to improve sleep quality and sleep onset. Your body produces its own cannabinoids as part of the endocannabinoid system, which regulates mood, relaxation, appetite, pain perception, and even cognition. CBD directly interacts with receptors of the endocannabinoid system and has been found to be helpful for improving sleep quality.
Here’s a list of studies on CBD and sleep:
- The nonpsychoactive Cannabis constituent cannabidiol is a wake-inducing agent 
- Cannabis, pain, and sleep: lessons from therapeutic clinical trials of Sativex, a cannabis-based medicine 
- Effect of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol on nocturnal sleep and early-morning behavior in young adults 
- Endocannabinoid modulation of cortical up-states and NREM sleep 
- Effectiveness of Cannabidiol Oil for Pediatric Anxiety and Insomnia as Part of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Report 
- Effects of acute systemic administration of cannabidiol on sleep-wake cycle in rats 
- Cannabinoids may treat sleep apnea 
Surprisingly, CBD can help you both fall asleep and stay awake. In smaller doses, CBD stimulates alertness and reduces daytime sleepiness which is important for your sleep-wake cycle. In large doses (upwards of 150 mg) CBD decreases sleep interruptions and increases total sleep time. So far, a range of doses from 10mg to upwards of 1300mg have been studied in scientific research for sleep problems, depression, stress, anxiety, and pain relief. As with everything, you need to experiment with a dosage range that works for you to get amazing sleep. We recommend starting with our CBD vapes or CBD lozenges to figure out what works best for you.